The Importance of the vitamin B12 test
A vitamin B12 test measures the amount of vitamin B12 in the blood. This is important because the body needs vitamin B to make blood cells and to maintain a healthy nervous system. Vitamin B12 is usually measured at the same time as a folic acid test, because a lack of either one can lead to a form of anemia called megaloblastic anemia. Lack of vitamin B12 also affects the nervous system.
A vitamin B12 test is used to:
- Check for anemia due to vitamin B12 deficiency. There are some risk factors for this anemia especially for people who have undergone any stomach or intestinal surgery, those suffering from small intestine problems, or people with a family history of this anemia.
- Diagnose the cause of certain types of anemia, such as megaloblastic anemia.
- Help find the cause of dementia or other nervous system symptoms, such as tingling or numbness of the arms or legs known as peripheral neuropathy.
- Find out if vitamin B12 deficiency anemia is present after a person has been diagnosed with atrophic gastritis.
What to do to prepare for the test:
Simply do not eat anything or drink any type of beverage except water for 10 to 12 hours before the test.
How It Is Done
- The method used is simply to draw blood.
- First, the healthcare professional will wrap an elastic band around your upper arm to stop the flow of blood. This makes the veins below the band larger so it is easier to put a needle into the vein.
- Next, alcohol is used to clean the needle.
- The healthcare then injects the needle into the vein. More than one needle stick may be needed.
- Blood is drawn out enough to fill a small injection tube or enough for a test.
- The elastic band is then removed from the arm when enough blood is collected.
- A gauze pad or cotton ball is then placed over the puncture mark site as the needle is removed.
- A little pressure is placed over the puncture site to stop any bleeding.
The Importance of Vitamin B12
Vitamin B12 is found in animal products like eggs, cheese, milk, shellfish, and meat. Most people who regularly eat these are not likely to develop vitamin B12 deficiency or megaloblastic anemia unless their body’s ability to absorb the vitamin from food fails.
It’s important to note that even if you are taking vitamin b12 on a daily basis, but fail to get enough sleep, the effects of this vitamin won’t be that great. The reason is that your body is working overtime and it won’t have the energy to digest vitamin b12 and make it useful in your body. With more sleep your body will be able to do it, if you have problems sleeping because of your husband or wife, then you should check out zquiet.
Strict vegetarians or those undergoing a vegetable diet to lose weight should take vitamin B12 supplements to compensate for any loss of the vitamin. Also, those who are wanting to lighten their skin can also take vitamin b12. This vitamin helps your reproduce skin cells much faster. If you want to learn more click here.
Vitamin b12 although very helpful can not get rid of skin tags, if you want to get rid of skin tags naturally, then we suggest tag away skin tag remover.